The Art and Craft of Coffee

Books you read on coffee

The Art and Craft of Coffee

Postby MaCoffee » 28 Mar 2011, 07:51

I've become interested in learning more about "gourmet" coffee and in being more involved in making/preparing my coffee so it tastes better, etc. I don't really know that much about that whole thing, though, and furthermore I'm kind of sketchy on everything else coffee. I thought maybe this book might help clear some things up:

The Art and Craft of Coffee: An Enthusiast's Guide to Selecting, Roasting, and Brewing Exquisite Coffee (Quarry Books (June 1, 2010))
Tracing the beverage from its first appearance in the Turkish and Saudi Arabian coffeehouses of the 1500s to the chains and boutique shops of today, Sinnott’s guide to primo coffee enables readers to fill their cups to the rim... with greatness. Readers will learn the differing qualities of producing countries (good acidity but light body from Peru; the distinctive Liberica espresso from Laos), the particulars of roasting, and even the best times to buy and brew. Sinnott deftly navigates the thorny issues of production, preferring to focus on the enjoyment of the product. Even readers who don’t know their Arabica from their Robusta or a French Press from a percolator will appreciate Sinnott’s informative and egalitarian approach; suggestions are the order of the day, not mandates. Whether the barista-to-be prefers to create custom blends to roast at home in the hopes of an ultimate cup, or simply wants to get a better pot from the auto drip she bought for $20, Sinnott’s guide will result in a better cup of joe.

Has anyone read this book? Would it be good for a beginner coffee lover, or should I pick something else?
MaCoffee

Re: The Art and Craft of Coffee

Postby Tentan » 13 Apr 2012, 06:12

MaCoffee, it's a good one. It's easy to read and not too complicated, though not 'dumbed down', if you know what I mean.
Tentan

Postby jennyffer777 » 02 May 2012, 02:46

Hi MaCoffee,
I personally didn't have the chance to read the book but, if judging by the synopsis, this should be an interesting book, with some humour, I guess, and a profound love to coffee ;)
Coffee & Love Taste Best When Hot
jennyffer777
old member
old member

Postby lulu33 » 26 Jul 2012, 06:07

I think coffee is tasty just as it is - you don't have to search for a more sophisticated way to prepare it, just do it as your grandma did ;)
lulu33
old member
old member

Postby michael » 13 Sep 2013, 03:12

I wanted to start visiting barista courses some time ago but then I thought that I would better visit a local coffee bar and enjoy my gourmet coffee there, than wasting my time and ingredients. :d ;)
Coffee is the best thing to douse the sunrise with
michael
old member
old member

Postby Roberta » 08 Nov 2013, 07:27

That's what I call an art. Unfortunately, no book is able to describe it properly. :-(

HI, my name's Roberta but friends call me Berta! :)
Roberta

Postby maria » 21 Feb 2014, 06:35

I am 100% sure that I won't be able to prepare coffee they way skillful baristas usually do. But they learn a lot, this is their craft, passion, their life, so let them do their work. ;)
maria
old member
old member

Return to Coffee Library