How Important is Fairtrade?

What country is your coffee from?

How Important is Fairtrade?

Postby RomboutsUK » 04 Oct 2010, 02:11

We have been discussing how important Fairtrade is to us here at Rombouts, but we were wondering how important it is to coffee fanatics! How much does it influence your buying decision?
RomboutsUK

Re: How Important is Fairtrade?

Postby helena » 04 Oct 2010, 05:32

Well, I love my coffee even it doesn't says Fair Trade on it. And what means a Fair Trade sigh in fact? Is it organically grown and thus purer and healthier? Not sure...Let it be a coffee with a true coffee taste and smell, that's all what I ask :-)
I make serious coffee - so strong it wakes up the neighbors
helena
old member
old member

Postby paula » 05 Oct 2010, 04:57

Hello, RomboutsUK and Helen! I think Fairtrade organization is very important as it serves as defender of those weak and unprotected people (in the face of law) who grow coffee in third countries. And I agree we should buy this coffee as it FairTrade's logo on it says it's a good, high-quality coffee. But what if I don't like it or consider it of a bad quality? Does the Fairtrade mark really secure us, consumers, against fake plain coffee?
Be a coffee-drinking individual - espresso yourself!
paula

Postby RomboutsUK » 05 Oct 2010, 06:42

Thanks for letting us know what you think Paula and Helena, both interesting points.

Fairtrade enables coffee farmers to get a fair price for their coffee. Usually the farmers are represented by a cooperative who receive a fairtrade premium, money to spend on improving the cooperative. This is spent on schools, healthcare, infrastructure etc and can make a huge difference to the communities.

It also allows us to work closely with the farmers to ensure that we are sourcing the best coffee. Overall it is a great deal for everyone.
RomboutsUK

Postby grounded » 06 Oct 2010, 09:02

I think Faritrade is very important and it does affect my coffee buying. However, if no coffee is available that has the FairTrade logo on it, well, I do need my coffee. ~o)
grounded

Postby lulu33 » 13 Oct 2010, 01:54

Thank you for such an interesting topic, RomboutsUK, and for finally explaining me and anyone other who was in doubt, what the Fair Trade really is. :d Now I understand - it is really important for those people who are living in coffee growing country and are usually without funds to be able to receive help from such organizations and people around the globe. That's a noble mission, I really respect people involved in these organizations!
lulu33
old member
old member

Postby jesse » 15 Oct 2010, 03:43

Thank you all! I was a little confused by this term "Fairtrade" but now I know what it means, so thank you again! :-)
jesse

Postby peter » 19 Oct 2010, 06:01

I really hope that those people from Fairtrade do help coffee growers from third countries. If this is the case, then it is really important.
A morning without coffee is like sleep
peter
old member
old member

Postby George » 06 Apr 2011, 16:50

I always thought Fairtrade is a great thing, and I try to get Fairtrade coffee when I can. I'd imagine that in the future this is going to expand more, and I think it's a good model for other industries to follow as well.
George

Postby starbuck » 25 May 2011, 17:58

I don't think it matters either way. It's all the same thing as long as you aren't loading your coffee up with artificial sweeteners or heavy creme, you should be OK.
starbuck

Postby LucyCB » 13 Jun 2012, 04:44

Fairtrade means that retailers buy directly from local farmers, paying them a higher price than they would otherwise get if distributors were involved, so kudos for that! I would prefer buying Fairtrade coffee.
LucyCB

Postby PepetheCoffeeManiac » 15 Feb 2013, 06:47

What's most important is that coffee is good, I don't care about the labels.
PepetheCoffeeManiac

Postby Roberta » 22 Mar 2013, 06:44

Well, I didn't notice a lot of Fairtrade coffee at our town, that's why it doesn't affect my choice when I'm going to buy coffee for home. However, if I'll ever come across such coffee, I will definitely prefer it instead of an usual one.
HI, my name's Roberta but friends call me Berta! :)
Roberta

Postby murphious » 07 Feb 2015, 05:52

I don't worry if it is fairtrade coffee, sorry. I always hope the producers get a good price from buyers but I also realize there can be unscrupulous people along the supply chain.
murphious

Return to Coffee Origins