Did you know...

Their interaction

Did you know...

Postby maria » 26 Jan 2010, 02:40

that the culture and coffee are two inseparable notions which go hand in hand from the 16th century. These were some social, artistic and intellectual centres in Turkey. The places were visited by many famous people; for example, in France these were Jean-Paul Sartre and Simone de Beauvoir attending a Parisian cafe Les Deux Magots which served as the meeting of the literary and intellectual élite of the city.
Very interesting, I think. Do you know some other examples of famous coffeehouses playing an important role in the society? ~o) ~o) ~o) ~o)
maria
old member
old member

Re: Did you know...

Postby michael » 27 Jan 2010, 03:14

Hi Maria! Here's what I have: did you know that the Muslims drank coffee with religious purposes? The dervishes used it as a way to find their truth in life; the coffee kept the believers awake and in general it has a huge impact on their everyday life. Thanks for giving me the chance to put in my 2 cents ;)
Coffee is the best thing to douse the sunrise with
michael
old member
old member

Postby helena » 28 Jan 2010, 04:54

To be sincere, cannot remember anything useful regarding the theme but I liked your info a lot! Thank you :-) :-) :-)
I make serious coffee - so strong it wakes up the neighbors
helena
old member
old member

Postby SanchoPancho » 03 Feb 2010, 02:30

hm... It's interesting

but DID YOU KNOW:
The United States is the world's largest consumer of coffee, importing 16 to 20 million bags annually (2.5 million pounds), representing one-third of all coffee exported. More than half of the United States population consumes coffee. The typical coffee drinker has 3.4 cups of coffee per day. That translates into more than 450,000,000 cups of coffee daily.

The largest coffee importer center in the U.S. is located in the city of New Orleans, LA.

Darker roasted coffees; ie. Espresso, contains Less Caffeine than any other roast because caffeine is lost during longer roast period.
Coffee Should be Black as Hell, Strong as Death, and Sweet as Love
SanchoPancho
old member
old member

Postby Jane01 » 03 Feb 2010, 07:07

Did you know that the French writer Voltaire drunk 50 cups of coffee in a day? :-o haha but he did
And Beethoven was a desperate drinker of coffee. He put exactly 60 granules of coffee in each cup!
Jane01

Postby Nick Lacey » 11 Feb 2010, 05:19

Useful hint! When you go shopping for perfume, take some coffee with you and have a good sniff in between smelling each perfume to refresh your nose!
Nick Lacey

Postby CrazyBaby » 11 Feb 2010, 06:20

The word “cappuccino” comes from the 16th century Capuchin order of friars, whose hoods were called cappuccinos.
A cappuccino is a coffee topped with steamed milk.
I don't have a problem with caffeine. I have a problem without caffeine!
CrazyBaby
old member
old member

Postby CoffeeLover » 11 Feb 2010, 06:23

"Coffee" comes from the Latin form of the genus Coffea, a member of the Rubiaceae family that includes more than 500 genera and 6,000 species of tropical trees and shrubs.
I like to move it, MOVE IT
CoffeeLover
old member
old member

Postby Nicky » 22 Feb 2010, 06:45

~o) The expression “a cup of Joe” to denote coffee, was first coined during WWII, when American servicemen (G.I. Joe) were identified as big coffee drinkers.

~o) ~o) The largest coffee-producing nation, Brazil, is responsible for 30 to 40 % of total world output.

~o) ~o) ~o) Coffee is the second most traded product in the world after petroleum. World wide coffee production tips the scales at about 6 million metric tonnes.
Some things in life are better rich. . . coffee, chocolate, men.
Nicky
old member
old member

Postby caffeine82 » 24 Feb 2010, 05:40

My 2 cents:

Coffee consumption per capita in Finland is 11.99 kilograms, approximately 3.8 cups of coffee a day (compare to 4.26 kilograms per person in the USA, or 8.06 kilograms in Sweden). The brew that most Finns drink is light-roasted and slightly bitterer than that coffee on the Continent.

Serving coffee is an important Finnish custom. Most family celebrations, special occasions at the workplace, receptions for sports personalities and visits by friends include a table set with beautiful coffee cups and pastries. But Finns drink coffee anywhere and everywhere – any excuse will do to get their hands on that coffee cup.
~o) ~o) ~o)
--------
Greg
caffeine82

Postby SanchoPancho » 25 Feb 2010, 01:49

~o) Caffeine is on the International Olympic Committee list of prohibited substances. Athletes who test positive for more than 12 micrograms of caffeine per milliliter of urine may be banned from the Olympic Games. This level may be reached after drinking about 5 cups of coffee. :YMDEVIL:

b-) 1 kilogram of roasted coffee requires 4,000 - 5,000 coffee beans.

:-b Robusta coffee, which is often used in instant (or soluble) coffee, has more caffeine than Arabica coffee. ;)
Coffee Should be Black as Hell, Strong as Death, and Sweet as Love
SanchoPancho
old member
old member

Postby paulina12 » 19 Mar 2010, 06:49

The last info is very interesting. We are always interested in something global and never notice the details. Who would have thought it that "1 kilogram of roasted coffee requires 4,000 - 5,000 coffee beans'! How much energy and forces are applied to just pick those berries and as result - 1kg coffee beans which leads to even less ground coffee, I guess....
paulina12

Postby Beanz » 19 Mar 2010, 14:17

Did you know: Over 53 countries grow coffee all around the world, but all of them lie along the equator between the tropic of Cancer and Capricorn.
Beanz

Postby paulina12 » 22 Mar 2010, 06:09

Hi Beanz! An welcome aboard! Yes, we've heard about this and this is due to the favourable conditions for growing coffee there.
paulina12

Postby Nick Lacey » 20 Apr 2010, 06:22

Did you know: The coffee grinder was invented by London blacksmith in 1665 :-b
Nick Lacey

Postby CrazyBaby » 11 May 2010, 02:50

The word "coffee" entered English in 1598 via Dutch koffie. This word was created via Turkish kahve, the Turkish pronunciation Arabic qahwa, a truncation of qahhwat al-bun or wine of the bean. One possible origin of the name is the Kingdom of Kaffa in Ethiopia, where the coffee plant originated; its name there is bunn or bunna.
(wikipedia source)
I don't have a problem with caffeine. I have a problem without caffeine!
CrazyBaby
old member
old member

Postby killer666 » 26 May 2010, 03:27

• Coffee is actually a fruit. It’s a cherry.
• There are two main types of coffee “beans” – Arabica and Robusta. Robusta plants are grown at low elevation and produce less flavorful coffee beans. However, Arabica plants are grown at high altitudes and produce the best tasting and highest quality coffee beans.
• One coffee tree yields only about one pound of roasted coffee each year.
Instant human. Just add coffee.
killer666
old member
old member

Postby CoffeeLover » 30 Dec 2010, 01:22

1. Coffee shops make up the FASTEST GROWING part of the restaurant business, checking in with a 7% annual growth rate!
2. World coffee production is estimated at 110 - 120 million bags per year!
3. 14 billion espresso coffees are consumed each year in Italy, reaching over 200,000 coffee bars, and still growing!
4. Americans consume 400 million cups of coffee per day, or equivalent to 146,000,000,000 (146 Billion) cups of coffee per year; making the United States the LEADING CONSUMER of coffee in the world.
5. Japan ranks number 3 in the world for coffee consumption.
6. Coffee represents 75% of all the caffeine consumed in the United States.
7. Cafe Bars average sales of 230 cups a day.
I like to move it, MOVE IT
CoffeeLover
old member
old member

Postby Willie Murphy » 28 Apr 2016, 01:42

maria wrote:that the culture and coffee are two inseparable notions which go hand in hand from the 16th century. These were some social, artistic and intellectual centres in Turkey. The places were visited by many famous people; for example, in France these were Jean-Paul Sartre and Simone de Beauvoir attending a Parisian cafe Les Deux Magots which served as the meeting of the literary and intellectual élite of the city.
Very interesting, I think. Do you know some other examples of famous coffeehouses playing an important role in the society? ~o) ~o) ~o) ~o)

Yes. Obviously.
Willie Murphy

Return to Coffee And Culture