Coffee ceremonies

Their interaction

Coffee ceremonies

Postby peter » 10 Feb 2010, 02:33

Hey guys! I see no one posted this before so I took the liberty to do this for you.
There are many countries in our world and as many coffee traditions. For example, in Middle East, Africa, South America and Asia drinking coffee is a necessary addition to something else, more important, for instance communication. It's more about socializing than for a personal pleasure as it is in the West - the United States of America, Europe.
Ethiopia is very famous for its coffee ceremonies - as is Japan for its tea rites. Being invited to a coffee ritual in Ethiopia means the highest honour for the guest. This ceremony takes up to two hours and its scenario is higly elaborated. It starts from the roasting device being located on a couch of scented herbs. The ceremony is held by a lady who roasts, then gently grinds the beans in a mortar. After this procedure, the final powder is brewed in a special device called "jebena" - a black clay coffee pot with a straw lid. And finally the lady serves coffee to her family, guests and their neighbors pouring it into everyone's china cup.
A beautiful ceremony, isn't it? I wish could be invited to an Ethiopian some day :-)
What about you? What other traditions connected with coffee you know?
A morning without coffee is like sleep
peter
old member
old member

Re: Coffee ceremonies

Postby ginga » 10 Feb 2010, 04:02

Our family does have a coffee tradition.. Traditionally, I am the one who brews coffee for the others.. 8-|
Caffeine isn't a drug, it's a vitamin!
ginga
old member
old member

Postby michael » 11 Feb 2010, 04:52

Peter, thank you for showing us the Ethiopian coffee tradition, I had no idea about it before. Really interesting and beautiful ceremony @};- @};- @};-
As for me, I don't know any other world's tradition of drinking or brewing coffee but a friend of mine is a great coffee admirer. It is a real honour for him to grind, brew and then drink his own cup. He has to have special mood for all this procedure, otherwise he doesn't deserve it, he says. He turns on a relax music, thoroughly washes and wipes his hands dry. The coffee beans he buys are always fresh and in a small quantity - for a certain number of cups, and so on, and so forth......
As you understand, the procedure is very long and carefully planned. But it really worths it, I swear! I had the honour to try it once and was very pleased with the taste, aroma and everything else. ~o) ~o) ~o) ~o) \m/ \m/ \m/
Coffee is the best thing to douse the sunrise with
michael
old member
old member

Postby Wired » 21 Feb 2010, 08:33

That sounds wonderful! I don't know if I could wait that long for my cup of coffee though! ~o) I would have to tank up before I went to the ceremony or I would be trying to eat the beans before they were roasted! :)) I would love to see it though. I'm glad to hear there is more to Ethiopia than hunger and homelessness.
Wired

Postby michael » 01 Mar 2010, 03:49

Of course, there is a beautiful culture in Ethiopia which is rich and still unknown to the majority of so-called civilized world
And as it is the coffee craddle, they (Ethiopians) do have what to show us and amaze :-bd
Coffee is the best thing to douse the sunrise with
michael
old member
old member

Return to Coffee And Culture