Coffee made from Animal Droppings?

What country is your coffee from?

Coffee made from Animal Droppings?

Postby Nawleen » 08 Nov 2010, 21:01

What is the coffee made out of animal droppings? I forget is this cat droppings or what kind of animal is it? I know I remember seeing it on discovery channel once and can't think of the name of it. I know people say it is awesome but just the thought really gets to me. Anyone know the name or the animal?
Nawleen

Re: Coffee made from Animal Droppings?

Postby SanchoPancho » 09 Nov 2010, 01:00

;)
Hi, Nawleen!
look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kopi_Luwak
but... we discussed it here... look at our forum... I dont remember what those topic was
Coffee Should be Black as Hell, Strong as Death, and Sweet as Love
SanchoPancho
old member
old member

Postby Nawleen » 09 Nov 2010, 02:39

SanchoPancho wrote:;)
Hi, Nawleen!
look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kopi_Luwak
but... we discussed it here... look at our forum... I dont remember what those topic was

Thanks so much for sharing this with me. I was telling my neice about it and she didn't believe me for nothing. Has anyone tried it before? I will do my best to searh the forum better for it but as I said I coudnt remember the name of the coffee. Again thanks so much!
Nawleen

Postby melissa » 09 Nov 2010, 03:40

I never tried that coffee before but, yes, I've heard about it a lot and I'm not going to taste it, to be sincere....Kopi Luwak is not just my cup of coffee ;)

But the animal (civet) producer is quite cute, isn't it??
melissa

Postby CoffeeLover » 10 Nov 2010, 01:54

nice little animal =)
but I am squeamish person... I never will try it :ymsick: :ymsick: :ymsick:
I like to move it, MOVE IT
CoffeeLover
old member
old member

Postby RomboutsUK » 10 Nov 2010, 02:56

I've always wondered how people started making coffee with animal droppings? How did they discover that it is a rare delicacy?!
RomboutsUK

Postby javafreak » 10 Nov 2010, 15:44

Wow, that just sounds downright nasty! I wonder who started that trend? The animal is adorable but it doesn't make me want to collect its droppings and brew them.
javafreak

Postby melissa » 11 Nov 2010, 04:32

Was searching through the web and look what I've found on Wikipedia:

History (Kopi Luwak)

The origin of Kopi Luwak is closely connected with the history of Coffee production in Indonesia. In early 18th century The Dutch established the cash-crop plantations in their colony in Dutch East Indies islands of Java and Sumatra, including Arabica coffee introduced from Yaman. During the era of Cultuurstelsel (1830—1870), the Dutch prohibit the native farmers and native plantation workers to pick coffee fruits for their own use. Yet the native farmers desired to have a taste of the famed coffee beverage. Soon the natives learned that certain species of musang or luwak (Asian Palm Civet) consumed these coffee fruits, yet they left the coffee seeds undigested in their droppings. The natives collect these Luwak's dropping coffee seeds; clean, roast and grind it to make coffee beverage.The fame of aromatic civet coffee spread from locals to Dutch plantation owners and soon become their favourites, yet because of its rarity and unusual process, the civet coffee is expensive even in colonial times.
melissa

Postby Nawleen » 12 Nov 2010, 16:51

Thanks Melissa, for the research and information. I thought they took the seeds from the dropping but couldn't remember how it worked. The little animal is cute. I still think it is hard to imagine drinking this coffee. I remind myself when I go to a different place sometimes I have no idea what it is they serve up so I try to have an open mind.
Nawleen

Postby Robusto » 24 May 2011, 05:38

These are the riches of the World that I don't want.. LOL
I've heard this cute little animal caused cholera epidemic in Asia some years ago... Makes the coffee even more expensive now :|
Robusto

Postby driven » 25 May 2011, 10:53

I am daring, and maybe if someone double dog dared me to try this kind of coffee I would. I know people say it is a fancy treat, but I can not get over the idea of where it came from. :ymsick:
driven

Postby Brewster » 26 May 2011, 23:52

My friend recently returned from travelling somewhere in Asia, where he got to try this coffee for a very low price. I think it must be just a regular drink to them. He says it tastes great!
Brewster

Postby robin » 14 Jun 2011, 12:23

There is almost zero percent that I would even imagine taking such a type of coffee..from animal droppings? How does it even taste? It is interesting to note how the idea of such a kind of coffee came up in the first place.
robin

Postby caffeineneeded » 15 Jun 2011, 03:24

I would agree that the animal is quite cute, but I can't think of any time I would try that coffee. Does the taste compare to anything? It couldn't taste like coffee since it isn't from coffee beans, could it?
caffeineneeded

Postby PepetheCoffeeManiac » 06 Mar 2012, 08:01

I just can't get how people can eat somebody's shit B-(
PepetheCoffeeManiac

Postby LucyCB » 10 Apr 2012, 05:27

Disgusting, ew :-o
LucyCB

Postby jesse » 11 Apr 2012, 06:56

cute animal but even if I wanted to drink a cup of kopi luwak, I doubt I would have enough money to get myself one ;)
jesse

Postby Demitasse » 14 May 2012, 06:22

caffeineneeded wrote:I would agree that the animal is quite cute, but I can't think of any time I would try that coffee. Does the taste compare to anything? It couldn't taste like coffee since it isn't from coffee beans, could it?

Yes, because it is from coffee beans. No shit is eaten. The civet cat swallows the coffee bean but its body does not digest it, so it passes it out. The bean is extracted from the shit and cleaned. Then it is made into coffee.

I would try it because it is fabled to be so good and obviously other people who drank it haven't died. Shit provides the nutrients for all the vegetables we eat, doesn't it? I don't see this as any different.

However, with it costing as much as $50 a cup I probably will never have the opportunity, because I am not THAT curious. It would have to taste gloriously better than any cup of coffee for me to pay $50 a cup for it or I would feel robbed.
Demitasse

Postby hestershine » 31 May 2012, 18:33

amazing..
hestershine

Return to Coffee Origins