No Coffee During Pregnancy?

Their interaction

No Coffee During Pregnancy?

Postby HCafe » 04 Apr 2011, 17:29

I was watching a favorite tv series a few days ago, and one of the characters was pregnant. The people around nagged her to stop drinking coffee, but she insisted on having one...This made me ask the perennial question once again - Should pregnant women cut caffeine out of their diets? How does caffeine affect the growing individual in mommy's womb and the whole process of pregnancy as well? :-)
HCafe

Re: No Coffee During Pregnancy?

Postby Brewster » 05 Apr 2011, 16:16

These days it seems pregnant women have a very long list of rules about what they can do, eat and drink. While I wouldn't advise anyone having a baby maintains a major coffee habit, one cup a day is fine. Caffeine is a stimulant, right? It makes sense to avoid too much when the baby is going to feel the effects right alongside you!
Brewster

Postby MaCoffee » 05 Apr 2011, 20:29

I agree with Brewster-- what pregnant women should and shouldn't do while pregnant changes every year. I think as long as you eat/drink/do things in moderation, it'll be fine for the baby. I don't think one cup a day would be bad.
MaCoffee

Postby George » 05 Apr 2011, 21:09

It's probably most difficult for women who have a habit of drinking several cups a day. Sometimes it's really hard to all of a sudden cut it down to just one cup. That is probably the best solution though. A major change like quitting cold turkey doesn't sound like it would be good.
George

Postby gardennut » 11 Jun 2011, 06:02

I think caffeine should be eliminated completely if at all possible while pregnant. I have had four kids and quit caffeine cold turkey each time. It was hard, but very well worth it.
gardennut

Postby robin » 13 Jun 2011, 10:35

Brewster wrote:These days it seems pregnant women have a very long list of rules about what they can do, eat and drink. While I wouldn't advise anyone having a baby maintains a major coffee habit, one cup a day is fine. Caffeine is a stimulant, right? It makes sense to avoid too much when the baby is going to feel the effects right alongside you!

It also seems the rules change day in day out. I had a lady friend who drank beer up to her last minute while pregnant so I am wondering whether it would make sense to tell her not to drink coffee.
robin

Postby driven » 13 Jun 2011, 12:42

They probably shouldn't drink it in excess but I don't think a cup would hurt them. I think it is more important to make sure a pregnant woman does not feel stressed out.
driven

Postby Java12 » 14 May 2012, 12:22

It's okay to have some caffeine while pregnant, but you should definitely avoid it altogether if you can't stop yourself at one cup. The latest recommendation I have seen is to keep it below 150 to 300mg per day.
Java12

Postby LucyCB » 21 May 2012, 01:41

I heard that that drinking up to 2 cups of coffee per day is okay, and more than that is associated with an increased risk of stillbirth.
LucyCB

Postby paul77 » 19 Oct 2012, 05:13

I think you could drink some coffee but not the regular amount. However, the doctor in carge should decide how much is too much for you. Good Luck! :d
Black as midnight on a moonless night
paul77
old member
old member

Postby Roberta » 09 Jan 2013, 07:39

I think drinking coffee in moderation wouldn't harm anyone's health. :d
HI, my name's Roberta but friends call me Berta! :)
Roberta

Return to Coffee And Culture