The best cure for a hangover? Coffee!

Discuss coffee impact on health

The best cure for a hangover? Coffee!

Postby chocaloca » 25 Feb 2011, 07:04

There are lots of wacky hangover cures out there but coffee is still the best, along with a simple aspirin. It's the caffeine that counteracts the chemical acetate, one of the by products of the way the body processes alcohol and the main cause of a hangover.
chocaloca

Re: The best cure for a hangover? Coffee!

Postby caffeineneeded » 25 Feb 2011, 08:17

I wish I had known this in my college years. I would just stay in bed or on the couch until I felt better. Of course, I wasn't a coffee drinker then or I might have figured it out.
caffeineneeded

Postby DecafMom » 25 Feb 2011, 10:30

Mythbusters did a show on this. Coffee may work best to alleviate the headache and other symptoms, but for getting sober quickly, they said a slap in the face was better.

I think I'd rather stick with coffee!!
DecafMom

Postby chocaloca » 26 Feb 2011, 04:58

DecafMom wrote:Mythbusters did a show on this. Coffee may work best to alleviate the headache and other symptoms, but for getting sober quickly, they said a slap in the face was better.

I think I'd rather stick with coffee!!

Ha ha, what if you live alone? Are you supposed to give yourself a slap in the face? I suppose you could knock next door and ask one of your neighbours to do it for you! =))
chocaloca

Postby MsCoffee » 28 Feb 2011, 07:06

I can see it now my neighbor knocking on the door and asking me to slap him. I would knock him out. :)) I agree coffee does wonders for a hangover for me although I rarely ever have one.
MsCoffee

Postby George » 25 Mar 2011, 17:06

That's pretty interesting about the caffeine and acetate reaction. I had always assumed the caffeine simply helped you wake up after a long night of drinking. Getting sober quickly isn't my first priority in any case when I have a hangover, so I will stick with coffee as well. I can't imagine a slap in the face would affect the acetate. :P
George

Postby jennyffer777 » 30 Mar 2011, 05:33

LOL! I really enjoyed your discussion - it's funny how a serious problem like hangover could turn into the funniest topics disscussed :d :d :d As for me, I cure myself with small dozes of alcohol - for my sake ;)
Coffee & Love Taste Best When Hot
jennyffer777
old member
old member

Postby Vulcanit » 01 Jun 2011, 04:52

I guess the best cure for a hangover is not to drink the amount of alcohol necessary to get a hangover :) But perhaps coffee helps!
Vulcanit

Postby robin » 05 Jun 2011, 02:27

MsCoffee wrote:I can see it now my neighbor knocking on the door and asking me to slap him. I would knock him out. :)) I agree coffee does wonders for a hangover for me although I rarely ever have one.

Absolutely hillarious..you do not wan't to walk to your neighbor when drunk because they could turn out to be the one you do not hit it off together. You might get more than you asked for.
robin

Postby Philip » 06 Jun 2012, 18:37

Although coffee is considered one of the best for hangover remedies, scientists say it may do more harm than good. According to the researchers, coffee not only wakes you from drinking, but can increase the bad feeling. Coffee and caffeinated energy drinks mask the symptoms of excessive consumption of alcohol and give the impression that drunkenness has passed, which may lead to wrong decisions.
Last edited by Philip on 08 Jun 2012, 22:29, edited 1 time in total.
Philip

Postby paul77 » 08 Jun 2012, 04:56

Dear Philip,

The same scientitsts say it could cure Alzheimer's Disease, depression and many other, so scientists are not the main criteria for me. Just be sure that you drink no more than 2-3 cups a day, and you'll live healthily ever after :)

Philip wrote:Although coffee is considered one of the best for hangover remedies, scientists say it may do more harm than good. According to the researchers, coffee not only wakes you from drinking, but can increase the bad feeling. Coffee and caffeinated energy drinks mask the symptoms of excessive consumption of alcohol and give the impression that drunkenness has passed, which may lead to wrong decisions.
Black as midnight on a moonless night
paul77
old member
old member

Postby jesse » 08 Apr 2013, 02:00

You'd better drink in moderation - not to feel bad afterwards. However, a cup of coffee is the best solution in any case. :d
jesse

Postby stephen12 » 13 Feb 2014, 18:55

It is scientifically basis.. ‘Coffee as the best hangover cure’ because they found the caffeine in coffee and the anti-inflammatory ingredients of aspirin and other painkillers reacted against the chemical compounds of ethanol, or pure alcohol.

Although, I didn’t drink, but it’s my pleasure to help and join this thread just for the sake of others. But my advice for every one of us is to avoid or to stop drinking so that hangover didn’t happen. ;) :-)
stephen12

Postby jimmyjim1299 » 17 Dec 2015, 02:56

Definitely, I tried coffee with pepper and it improved my condition after a very hard night. Why else do you think I hear people say that coffee helps you punch life in the face?
jimmyjim1299

Return to Coffee Health