Are the books as important as the coffee making itself?

Books you read on coffee

Are the books as important as the coffee making itself?

Postby paul77 » 08 Feb 2010, 04:45

It's me again and I'm a newbie (as you rememeber), so don't judge me severely :ymblushing:
Here's my question: why do we need all these books - we can prepare our coffee without reading a lot and don't need any guidance doing that, you know... I don't mind baristas reading a lot as this is their business, they need to develop their skills. But what about us, simple drinkers? For me personally it's much easier going to a coffee shop and ordering there any cup of coffee I wish instead of torturing myself in the kitchen :-(
Please don't hate me, I ask out of curiosity :ymblushing: :ymblushing: :ymblushing:
Black as midnight on a moonless night
paul77
old member
old member

Re: Are the books as important as the coffee making itself?

Postby ginga » 15 Feb 2010, 05:32

Paul, it's impossible to hate you looking at your avatar :)
Actually.. I think it's just a matter of personal preference. It's same as ... some people like to cook, some only like to eat, others enjoy both activities :)
I don't mind studying some coffee related literature from time to time to get better understanding of the beverage.
Caffeine isn't a drug, it's a vitamin!
ginga
old member
old member

Postby maria » 15 Feb 2010, 05:49

Hi Paul and Ginga! I like reading books on baking and of course not against reading some literature about preparing coffee. Why avoid it if it helps me prepare a good cup of coffee and maybe earn praise from my family and friends??? :ymblushing:
Some like it prepared by the others and I like doing everything by myself. It gives me a lot of pleasure creating an art, as I call it, with my own hands and I'm almost always proud of what I get
maria
old member
old member

Postby jennyffer777 » 18 Feb 2010, 02:56

Everything matters: the books and the coffee preparing, of course. I think you understand that people who write those books make it with one major purpose - to give the readers all the useful info about coffee preparing they possess and experienced on their own. This means you can find there really interesting facts which can be helpful to you, some nuances which can come to your mind only after years of experimenting. They (books) save your time in a way or another, so don't judge them severely, the books can be really helpful......
Coffee & Love Taste Best When Hot
jennyffer777
old member
old member

Postby Nicole » 15 Dec 2010, 04:47

I like Irish Coffee and make it every Christmas. I never remember the recipe so I will browse the book to find it. The book gives me so many different ideas and it is fun to mix and match the recipes for that elusive and ultimate taste.
Nicole

Postby SanchoPancho » 16 Dec 2010, 06:47

Yes,.. books are important!!! They give us a source of knowledge and experiments. But they will be useful only for the true connoisseurs of coffee who know sense of coffee and want to receive the maximum pleasure from a cup of coffee .
Coffee Should be Black as Hell, Strong as Death, and Sweet as Love
SanchoPancho
old member
old member

Postby killer666 » 17 Jan 2011, 02:02

The Great Coffee Book by Timothy J. Castle and Joan Nielsen

The Great COFFEE BOOK, International Coffee expert Timothy Castle and food writer Joan Nielson explore how this remarkable beverage has become a veritable cultural obsession. To help readers fight against the growing proliferation of fine and specialty coffee available authors discuss coffee growing around the world, varieties of beans and difference...

and what you can say about this book ??? did you know about it?
Instant human. Just add coffee.
killer666
old member
old member

Postby driven » 09 Mar 2011, 10:02

I think it all depends on the person. Take me for example, I am a huge reader, and I will read anything that I can get my hands on. I had similar thoughts to yours until I read some books. Once I started reading them I started to find ways to appreciate coffee that I had not before. Give the books a chance, and if you don't like them then move on to something else.
driven

Postby chocaloca » 11 Mar 2011, 05:47

I'm not averse to reading any book really, especially if the subject matter is something that interests me. I'm keen to learn all the time, so if a book about coffee and coffee culture tells me something that I didn't know, it's worthwhile.
chocaloca

Postby MaCoffee » 29 Mar 2011, 11:28

I agree with the others: I think it depends on what you want to use books for! I don't think I'll be using any book specifically for learning how to make coffee beyond shoving it in a cafe press, but I will be using them to figure out what coffees I want to try, how to best drink them, and the history of coffee throughout the world. I find those things interesting, and so I'll read about them. :D
MaCoffee

Postby Vulcanit » 03 Jun 2011, 06:51

I think that these two things just cannot be compared because both of them are important :)
Vulcanit

Postby LucyCB » 29 Mar 2012, 05:04

No book are more important than coffee. Period.
LucyCB

Postby Tentan » 26 Jun 2012, 00:03

No book are more important than coffee. Period.

I totally agree!
Tentan

Return to Coffee Library