recipes with coffee syrup

From all over the world

recipes with coffee syrup

Postby CrazyBaby » 17 Nov 2010, 01:04

Coffee syrup is a beverage additive typically found in Rhode Island. Made of three ingredients (water and sugar strained through coffee grounds), this syrup is used in other local cuisine such as coffee milk and coffee cabinets. Currently the only producer of Coffee Syrup is the Autocrat Coffee and Syrup Company, located in Lincoln.

Originally produced in the 1930s in corner drug stores, coffee syrup was targeted towards children, while their parents drank hot coffee. Due to the popularity of this product, coffee syrup was bottled and sold by merchants. In 1993 coffee syrup was competing against Del's Lemonade (another local drink) and won the title of official drink of Rhode Island.

History:
1895: Autocrat coffee syrup was founded by Frank O. Field.
1930: Coffee milk was first introduced to Rhode Island.
1932: Silmo Packing company, New Bedford, Massachusetts began a version called "coffee syrup" under their company's name.
1938: Eclipse of Warwick also made their own version of coffee syrup. They had a slogan to go along with it, "You'll smack your lips if it's Eclipse."
1940: Autocrat of Lincoln, Rhode Island began to make a mixture of corn syrup and coffee extract. They also had a slogan which was, "A swallow will tell you."
1991: The companies Autocrat and Eclipse were rivalries in the coffee syrup business, but this ended in 1991 when Aurocrat bought out Eclipse. Autocrat bought the brand name and the secret formula. Both of these labels are produced by Autocrat and available to buy in stores.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And now I want to share one recipe with you! coffee syrup is a perfect dicovery for me =) cause coffee syrup can be used to flavor drinks, cakes, or used as an ice cream topping...

ok! how to make it:

Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 10 minutes

Ingredients:
1 cup sugar
1 cup extra strength brewed 100% Colombian Coffee (1-1/2 cups ground coffee to 16 ounces cold water)

Preparation:
Combine sugar and coffee in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly to dissolve sugar. Lower heat and simmer for three minutes, stirring often.
Store coffee syrup tightly covered in refrigerator, up to one month. Use to flavor milk drinks or over ice cream.
Last edited by CrazyBaby on 23 Nov 2010, 02:38, edited 1 time in total.
I don't have a problem with caffeine. I have a problem without caffeine!
CrazyBaby
old member
old member

Re: recipes with coffee syrup

Postby maria » 23 Nov 2010, 02:32

hmmm.... a syrup? I thought a syrup cannot be found in the ground :-\
maria
old member
old member

Postby killer666 » 24 Nov 2010, 04:02

maria wrote:I thought a syrup cannot be found in the ground

??? strange, But what do you mean, Maria?

I think that coffee syrup is god idea for all-coffee-maniacs =)
Instant human. Just add coffee.
killer666
old member
old member

Postby maria » 03 Dec 2010, 06:12

killer666 wrote:
maria wrote:I thought a syrup cannot be found in the ground

??? strange, But what do you mean, Maria?

I think that coffee syrup is god idea for all-coffee-maniacs =)

Sorry I thought CrazyBaby meant syrups were raised on Rhode Island, I was really inattentive, guys! :d
maria
old member
old member

Postby CoffeeLover » 07 Dec 2010, 04:00

Hello! ;) ;) ;)
Simple Coffee Syrup Recipe

ingridients:
1 cup ground coffee
1 cup sugar
3 cups water

instructions:
Boil sugar and water together for about 5 minutes.
Pour over the ground coffee.
Let stand until cool. Strain.

PS. This syrup can be used in making milk shakes, milk nog, and other milk beverages where coffee flavor is desired.
I like to move it, MOVE IT
CoffeeLover
old member
old member

Return to Coffee Recipes