Coffee was considered an aphrodisiac

What country is your coffee from?

Coffee was considered an aphrodisiac

Postby MakeitBlack » 17 Aug 2010, 10:05

Did you know that the British, during their colonizing years, ran into a dark drink that affected those who drank it like an aphrodisiac. If you go online and a little research, you'll be amused to find that they considered it a danger to their troops.
MakeitBlack

Re: Coffee was considered an aphrodisiac

Postby CoffeeLover » 18 Aug 2010, 00:15

May be they had such thoughts because coffee is good energy drink. It "charges" person as a battery ;)
I like to move it, MOVE IT
CoffeeLover
old member
old member

Postby RomboutsUK » 18 Aug 2010, 01:28

Ironically in Britain, in the 17th Century, some women tried to get coffee banned because they thought it diminished their husbands libidos. In fact, many coffee houses were attached to brothels and so that explains why they were quite tired when they returned home.
RomboutsUK

Postby michael » 18 Aug 2010, 03:10

Welcome aboard, RomboutsUK! Very glad to see the number of our forum members increases with days...And yes, I've heard this story about women trying to prohibit coffee. But it seems women soon realized it would be much more useful drinking coffee with men and having pleasure together, instead of banning it and making enemies with their own husbands :d ;)
Coffee is the best thing to douse the sunrise with
michael
old member
old member

Postby ginga » 18 Aug 2010, 03:55

Interesting story. So is it still believed that coffee is an aphrodisiac? :) I haven't heard of that before.
Caffeine isn't a drug, it's a vitamin!
ginga
old member
old member

Postby SanchoPancho » 19 Aug 2010, 01:33

Legend has it that Turkish people claimed coffee to be an aphrodisiac and husbands kept their wives well supplied. If the husband refused, it was a legitimate cause for a wife to divorce.

A recent study has suggested that coffee could be a potent aphrodisiac for women who infrequently consume the beverage. The experiment was done on female rats where they had to ingest a certain amount of caffeine. The female rats that ingested the substance before mating were quicker than the “not caffeinated” females to enjoy another hanky-panky moment.

Although the experiment is highly suggestive of caffeine’s aphrodisiac powers, an underlying fact that it was done on animals that haven’t had any caffeine in their life still remains. Most of the time, women drink coffee on a daily basis or ingest caffeine in cola beverages. The current study’s results might be something to think about for women who don’t ingest a lot of caffeine, who usually have a low level of caffeine in their diet. It is possible that it might enhance the sexual experience only among people who are not habitual users.

Since coffee does have an effect in our nervous system usually to wake our sleepy system in the morning or at night when we had to stay up late, perhaps it is capable, to some extent, of boosting our stamina and imagination hence, in the most conducive environment; an increase in sex drive is possible.

from: http://nepspeed82.blogspot.com/2007/05/ ... isiac.html
Coffee Should be Black as Hell, Strong as Death, and Sweet as Love
SanchoPancho
old member
old member

Postby driven » 19 Aug 2010, 11:05

Haha, a wife could divorce her husband for not supplying her with coffee? Wow, that is just about the best thing I have ever heard. I can think of a few wives I know who would get a kick out of that.
driven

Postby killer666 » 20 Aug 2010, 03:07

cool legend =)
But if coffee is in my blood, what then? :-b
Instant human. Just add coffee.
killer666
old member
old member

Postby morning buzz » 23 Aug 2010, 06:41

I know for a fact that coffee helps me with any type of asthmatic or allergies I may be having that day. I wake up in the morning with that tightness in my chest and one cup of coffee later and it is gone.
morning buzz

Postby ginga » 13 Sep 2010, 07:08

morning buzz wrote:I know for a fact that coffee helps me with any type of asthmatic or allergies I may be having that day. I wake up in the morning with that tightness in my chest and one cup of coffee later and it is gone.

Really? I may suggest it to my younger sister then!

Wife divorcing husband legend was funny, thanks for sharing! :)
Caffeine isn't a drug, it's a vitamin!
ginga
old member
old member

Postby RomboutsUK » 14 Sep 2010, 08:24

I read recently that in some versions of the myth of Kaldi the Goat Herder the coffee beans drove him to bestiality. Gives us an idea of how coffee has been perceived by some cultures.
RomboutsUK

Postby paul77 » 15 Sep 2010, 02:18

RomboutsUK wrote:I read recently that in some versions of the myth of Kaldi the Goat Herder the coffee beans drove him to bestiality. Gives us an idea of how coffee has been perceived by some cultures.

Maybe that was something else, not coffee at all ;)
Black as midnight on a moonless night
paul77
old member
old member

Postby RomboutsUK » 15 Sep 2010, 02:48

Yes, very possibly. I guess being a goat herder can be pretty lonely and send you a little insane :)
RomboutsUK

Postby michael » 16 Sep 2010, 04:36

RomboutsUK wrote:Yes, very possibly. I guess being a goat herder can be pretty lonely and send you a little insane :)

Yeah, poor herdsman - what a miserable life he had that even goats were a kind of friends to him cause he first tasted coffee thanks to them ;) LOL!
Coffee is the best thing to douse the sunrise with
michael
old member
old member

Postby Nicole » 14 Dec 2010, 05:13

I am glad my husband isn't reading this, he would cut down my intake of coffee for sure lol.

I hadn't realized that caffiene was an aphrodisiac when taken in moderation, maybe I should cut it down!!
Nicole

Postby Icemocha » 06 Jan 2011, 18:07

Wow, I learned so many interesting things about coffee in this thread! I can just imagine some lady in a brothel offering up coffee before some hanky-panky time. How strange that they don't consider coffee like that anymore even though it was thought of as an aphrodisiac in several countries.
Icemocha

Postby sweetener » 09 Jan 2011, 08:02

I have to try this. There are times when I'm not in the mood to copulate but my wife does. If caffeine can wake us up then it can make our libido become active.
sweetener

Postby PepetheCoffeeManiac » 16 Nov 2012, 01:47

Aphrodisiac, huh? I should check it out
PepetheCoffeeManiac

Return to Coffee Origins