Most Expensive Coffees In the World

Say what you like about certain coffee drink

Most Expensive Coffees In the World

Postby JavaJoe » 24 Jul 2010, 22:09

So, coffee lovers, what is the priciest coffee bean that you have had the privilege of sipping the brewed beverage of?

Forbes compiled a list of expensive coffees and here they are.
JavaJoe

Re: Most Expensive Coffees In the World

Postby chocaloca » 25 Jul 2010, 07:50

Well I know that the coffee beans that get eaten and poohed out by the civet are loved by the UK's Prince Charles but I wouldn't entertain them! The most expensive I have had are the Kaladi Brothers coffee beans when I was in Alaska last year. Not really very costly at 12.75 dollars but really delicious.
chocaloca

Postby jennyffer777 » 26 Jul 2010, 04:09

I had the honour of drinking "Hacienda la Esmeralda Geisha" from Panama - $50.25 per pound, may be not that expensive, still not worth the money my friend paid for it, imho....
Coffee & Love Taste Best When Hot
jennyffer777
old member
old member

Postby paulina12 » 26 Jul 2010, 04:18

Hey guys, I never had expensive coffees as my budget doesn't allow me to buy one :-( But I came across a coffee brand recently named St. Helena coffee - it's from the famous island St.Helena - Napoleon's exile. It costs $79 per pound.... And of course, Kopi Luwak but I doubt I ever try it, no matter how rich I am going to be in future! ;)
paulina12

Postby Nicky » 03 Aug 2010, 00:05

I never thought of it. I drink coffee and I enjoy the taste.
here are the top ten most expensive specialty coffees according to Forbes.com:

Coffee: Kopi Luwak
Grown in: Indonesia
Cost: $160 per pound

Coffee: Hacienda La Esmeralda
Grown in: Boquete, Panama
Cost: $104 per pound

Coffee: Island of St. Helena Coffee Company
Grown in: St. Helena
Cost: $79 per pound

Coffee: Fazenda Santa Ines
Grown in: Minas Gerais, Brazil
Cost: $50 per pound green at auction

Coffee: Blue Mountain
Grown in: Wallenford Estate, Jamaica
Cost: $49 per pound

Coffee: Los Planes
Grown in: Citala, El Salvador
Cost: $30 per 12 ounces ($40 per pound)

Coffee: Kona
Grown in: Hawaii
Cost: $30 per 14 ounces (about $34 per pound)

Coffee: El Injerto
Grown in: Huehuetenango, Guatemala
Cost: $25 per pound green at auction
Expected to retail for more than $50 per pound

Coffee: Yauco Selecto AA
Grown in: Puerto Rico
Cost: $22 per pound

Coffee: Fazenda Sao Benedito
Grown in: Minas Gerias, Brazil
Cost: $21 per pound
Some things in life are better rich. . . coffee, chocolate, men.
Nicky
old member
old member

Postby CrazyBaby » 05 Aug 2010, 00:38

It would be interesting to know the opposite statistics. What is the cheapest coffee in the World?! :o)
I don't have a problem with caffeine. I have a problem without caffeine!
CrazyBaby
old member
old member

Postby Jane01 » 26 Aug 2010, 02:00

:-? ~o) ~o) I understand that Kopi Luwak is one of rarest coffees in the world and it is very expensive, but when I begin to think how it has been made, my desires quickly disappear
Jane01

Postby Mulderr » 29 Aug 2010, 15:55

Okay, you've got my interest. How is Kopi Luwak made? If it's true that you get what you pay for, it's gotta be good, and I'd love to try some. But.................
Mulderr

Postby DecafMom » 29 Aug 2010, 22:09

I, too, am unable to buy expensive coffees. The one I liked the best, though, was actually one of the less expensive ones I've purchased. It was available at Dollar Tree ("Everything's a Dollar") for a while. I can't think of the brand name offhand, and can't find it in a Google search, either. (ETA: I think it might have been Beech-Nut.)
DecafMom

Postby driven » 30 Aug 2010, 10:58

I have only once bought an expensive coffee. It was fun and worth it for the one time. But I like cheap coffee just fine.
driven

Postby paul77 » 07 Sep 2010, 01:57

Mulderr wrote:Okay, you've got my interest. How is Kopi Luwak made? If it's true that you get what you pay for, it's gotta be good, and I'd love to try some. But.................

I wouldn't recommend trying Kopi Luwak but it's you to choose. This coffee is prepared this way: civets (some Asian exotic animals) eat coffee berries which are then digested in their stomach and thus undergo some reaction with useful acids found there. After this process, the beans came out. So these digested berries are then collected by people and undergo other necessary processes, like roasting and brewing. Why it is so expensive? It is considered that civets eat only the best beans and due to their stomach' acids, this coffee becomes even better.
Now it's you to choose if you are ready to pay a lot of money to enjoy this world's most expensive coffee :d ;)
Black as midnight on a moonless night
paul77
old member
old member

Postby paul77 » 07 Sep 2010, 02:01

CrazyBaby wrote:It would be interesting to know the opposite statistics. What is the cheapest coffee in the World?! :o)

I like your idea, CrazyBaby. So if you don't mind, I'll open this topic. :d
Black as midnight on a moonless night
paul77
old member
old member

Postby Jane01 » 28 Sep 2010, 04:20

paul77 wrote:
Mulderr wrote:Okay, you've got my interest. How is Kopi Luwak made? If it's true that you get what you pay for, it's gotta be good, and I'd love to try some. But.................

I wouldn't recommend trying Kopi Luwak but it's you to choose. This coffee is prepared this way: civets (some Asian exotic animals) eat coffee berries which are then digested in their stomach and thus undergo some reaction with useful acids found there. After this process, the beans came out. So these digested berries are then collected by people and undergo other necessary processes, like roasting and brewing. Why it is so expensive? It is considered that civets eat only the best beans and due to their stomach' acids, this coffee becomes even better.
Now it's you to choose if you are ready to pay a lot of money to enjoy this world's most expensive coffee :d ;)

After the explanation someone wants to try Kopi Luwak ???? ))
Jane01

Postby mikek » 16 Nov 2010, 17:40

Kopi is first eaten by a small animal (I think it is the Luwak or Civet). they digest down to the bean on the inside, but LEAVE BEHIND a sheath or membrane that keeps the bean from contacting their pooh. They do their business and the beans are collected. Their pooh is basically one big piece of coffee bean. The beans are cleaned and the membranous sheath removed and there you have the beans that are then roasted and whallah, you have 160/lb coffee. Never had it but heard it is amazing and believe it or not hygenic.
mikek

Postby TinMan » 01 Mar 2012, 06:51

My favorite coffee is Tully's Coffee French Roast ($33.03 for a pack), and I don't see any point in spending more on coffee, if I am satisfied with cheaper brands.
TinMan

Return to Coffee Reviews