Turkish coffee with cardamon

From all over the world

Turkish coffee with cardamon

Postby MakeitBlack » 13 Aug 2010, 15:02

I went into a middle eastern deli and smelled a pot of the owner's coffee brewing. Oh man!! I asked what it was and he said Turkish coffee ground with green cardamon. If you can't get that get Arabian coffee and purchase ground cardamon. Just a pinch for a 3 cup pot.
MakeitBlack

Re: Turkish coffee with cardamon

Postby Nina Maxwell » 15 Aug 2010, 07:05

I'd never heard of this combination before so have read up on it a little. Because it doesn't hold the flavor once the seeds are exposed I think it would be quite hard to use the fresh pods. I mean I do love coffee but I have my limits! I wonder if the packaged version would work as well?
Nina Maxwell

Postby CrazyBaby » 17 Aug 2010, 01:39

Turkish Coffee With Cardamom

Ingredients
1 tbsp Coffee (Finely Grounded and Powdered)
1 cup Water
Sugar (Optional)
1/8 tsp Ground Cardamom
Preparation
Bring water and sugar to boil in a water heater or in a saucepan. Remove the sugar water from heat and add coffee and cardamom. Put the saucepan back on heat and allow it to come to boil. Remove from heat when coffee foams. Pour into individual cups and allow it to set for a while for few minutes, so that the sediments settle down.
I don't have a problem with caffeine. I have a problem without caffeine!
CrazyBaby
old member
old member

Postby MakeitBlack » 17 Aug 2010, 10:01

There you go CrazyBaby. Have you tried it yet. You can make it more normally in a coffeemaker by using a strong Arabic or Turkish coffee first adding the ground cardamon to the grounds. Spectacular cup of coffee.
MakeitBlack

Postby michael » 18 Aug 2010, 04:07

Are you surprised cardamon was green or the fact the coffee was mixed with cardamon? Because this is the true recipe of original Turkish coffee which is amazing! But as I know from my own experience, it should be prepared by Turks only as they know better than we how to make it perfect ;)
Coffee is the best thing to douse the sunrise with
michael
old member
old member

Postby ginga » 23 Aug 2010, 04:19

Is there any turk around who can come make a cup for me ? :-)
Caffeine isn't a drug, it's a vitamin!
ginga
old member
old member

Postby RomboutsUK » 25 Aug 2010, 05:48

Can't believe I never tried this when I went to Turkey as a kid, but it was only later I got into coffee. The Turks take their coffee so seriously!
RomboutsUK

Postby Derek » 26 Aug 2010, 01:13

Well, you were a kid and couldn't understand all the charm of a true Turkish coffee then (and any coffee, in general), so that's not your fault, RomboutsUK ;) But I'm sure you'll have a chance to visit this beautiful country again and try their magic coffee! It really differs from what we are used to ;)
The powers of a man's mind are directly proportioned to the quantity of coffee he drinks - Sir James Mackintosh
Derek

Postby Dixie06 » 04 Jun 2011, 04:34

My husband is Turkish and I learned to make it from his Mom. Turkish coffee is interesting because you have to know when to add the ingredients; if they are added wrong, the coffee will not taste right. My Mother-in-law's best tip- makes sure the coffee has foam on the top. The foam shows the "perfection" of the cooking.
Dixie06

Postby LucyCB » 28 Mar 2012, 05:16

The Turkish coffee with cardamom is heaven - a big caffeine kick with spicy overtones.
LucyCB

Postby MoffeeCoff » 04 Apr 2012, 03:45

Fantastic rich flavored with hints of cardamon - I have a cup every morning. 
MoffeeCoff

Return to Coffee Recipes