How Old?

The role it plays in your everyday life

How Old?

Postby Javalover » 05 Apr 2010, 19:01

How old were your kids when you let them start drinking coffee? Growing up I always heard that coffee stunted your growth, is this an old wives' tale? I don't really want my kids having the caffeine but I know how hard it is to go to school and have a job.
Javalover

Re: How Old?

Postby Nicky » 07 Apr 2010, 03:20

Unfortunately I do not have children yet.
But I remember that parents forbade me to drink coffee.
But my aunt allowed. Let me think... I have tried coffee in 11 or 13 years old.

;;) happy easter :ymparty:
Some things in life are better rich. . . coffee, chocolate, men.
Nicky
old member
old member

Postby JavaJane » 07 Apr 2010, 04:42

It is an old myth that coffee will stunt your growth so no need to worry about that. The concern on giving children coffee too early is the caffeine - who wants to hype a kid up, right? I let my kids have coffee, if they asked for it, in high school. But you could always let them have decaf so no need to worry about them getting caffeine addicted too young.
JavaJane

Postby paul77 » 09 Apr 2010, 01:55

Well, I don't have kids either but I don't see allowing them to drink coffee as a big problem. I think my children will be free to choose - drink coffee or tea, so that they don't do this secretly, behind my back. And when they will be grown up enough, they will set their choice on anything they like. :-)
Black as midnight on a moonless night
paul77
old member
old member

Postby LoriL » 10 Apr 2010, 05:46

I have 1 child and she is not allowed to drink coffee yet. She is 13. I don't see any reason for her to drink it until she is an adult. I wasn't allowed when I was a kid. Sure I snuck a drink here or there, but I wasn't allowed to have a cup with my parents in the morning.
LoriL

Postby Beanz » 10 Apr 2010, 08:51

I don't have kids, but I used to drink coffee in high school because I used to wake up at 4 in the morning to do more homework and such. I never had any problems.
Beanz

Postby ginga » 20 Apr 2010, 05:14

hmm... :-? My parents never forbade me to drink coffee, moreover my granny used to suggest me a cup from time to time! The matter is that I didn't like it that much when I was a kid.
I don't really think it's always good to prohibit something. You might just explain your children that coffee is good for grownups, but harmful for kids :)
Or *-:) when they ask for coffee just give them a cup.. without sugar :) I think that will turn them away for many years in advance :)
Caffeine isn't a drug, it's a vitamin!
ginga
old member
old member

Postby killer666 » 06 Jul 2010, 00:43

Coffee - never!!! Only cocoa!!!
Instant human. Just add coffee.
killer666
old member
old member

Postby jennyffer777 » 06 Jul 2010, 03:58

Well, I'll let my kinds drinking coffee when they ask me for that (but in small quantities at the beginning, of course). Until then, they drink as much milk as they wish... :-)
Coffee & Love Taste Best When Hot
jennyffer777
old member
old member

Return to Coffee In Your Life