How do you store it?

From A to Z; Talk us about your coffee equipment experience

How do you store it?

Postby caffeine82 » 09 Jun 2010, 03:18

There are various ways of storing coffee. Some keep it in a cup-board, others believe that you ought to put it in a fridge as you open it... Do you you have your own preferences? How many of us do store coffee in a fridge? Do you notice the difference?

As for me, I once heard that fridge preserves the taste better, so I prefer keeping it that way :)
--------
Greg
caffeine82

Re: How do you store it?

Postby killer666 » 09 Jun 2010, 04:09

Coffee never has time to deteriorate at the real coffeelover!!!

The best place to store coffee is my stomach
Instant human. Just add coffee.
killer666
old member
old member

Postby paula » 14 Jun 2010, 04:47

I prefer storing it in the cupboard in some dark place, so that light doesn't touch it....I never heard about keeping it in the fridge, but of course everyone has its own preferences ;)
My method of storage never let me down, so I like it that way...I will rephrase killer666: a true coffee lover won't let his/her coffee deteriorate...
Be a coffee-drinking individual - espresso yourself!
paula

Postby lulu33 » 17 Jun 2010, 04:24

I usually buy a little amount of coffee, so that it doens't spoil and keep it in the remote corner of my cupboard.. And this method never let me dow.
lulu33
old member
old member

Postby peter » 23 Jun 2010, 02:05

killer666 wrote:Coffee never has time to deteriorate at the real coffeelover!!!

The best place to store coffee is my stomach
<=LOL

Yes, I agree.... The lesser you buy, the sooner you'll finish it! And the sooner this happens, the earlier you'll go to the store to buy it again. And it never manages to deteriorate...Coffee cycle, that's it!
A morning without coffee is like sleep
peter
old member
old member

Postby LavazzaMan » 29 Jun 2010, 06:53

I totally agree that it's not easy to preserve all the flavors in coffee after the pack was opened. You get the best flavor right as you open it. But as you keep it, coffee starts to lose its aromas, slow but steady. I notice that no matter where it is kept, in a dark cupboard or a fridge. The best solution is - buy smaller amounts, IMHO.
Swirl the flavor. Savor the taste.
LavazzaMan

Postby Robusto » 30 Jun 2010, 05:02

If you're buying whole beans, you can freeze them to prevent from becoming stale quickly. Storing in a fridge makes no sense because temperatures aren't low enough.

But...

If you're buying your coffee ground, there's no such thing as best storage method :) Just drink it as soon as possible :)
Robusto

Postby Robusto » 30 Jun 2010, 05:04

P.S. Another useful tip: better use ceramic or glass containers to preserve flavor. And keep it in a dark place.
Robusto

Postby maria » 01 Jul 2010, 01:36

Thank for the tips, Robusto and welcome! You're new to the board and you already give us good advices! It's a good sign!
Well, I knew nothing about freezing whole beans so that they don't get stale, I'll surely do this in future.
As for the ground coffee, it's true, I don't buy too much - to drink it as soon as possible; but I tend to keep it in its original packaging in my cupboard.
maria
old member
old member

Postby CrazyBaby » 08 Jul 2010, 02:16

I store coffee in package from the manufacturer. In what I bought my coffee, so in that I store it =)
I don't have a problem with caffeine. I have a problem without caffeine!
CrazyBaby
old member
old member

Postby Nicky » 13 Jul 2010, 01:54

I store coffee in a cool place and in packing from the manufacturer

Instructions
Step 1
Consider purchasing whole bean coffee. Ground coffee is very convenient, however it tends to lose its flavor more easily than whole beans coffee. Consequently, ground coffee doesn't stay fresh as long as coffee beans.
Step 2
Keep your coffee in its valve-sealed or vacuum-sealed package if you don't open it right away. However, once coffee is opened, you'll need a special container for optimal storage. Repackage any coffee that comes in a paper bag.
Step 3
Store your coffee purchase in an airtight container that has a rubber or a silicone seal. You'll find airtight coffee canisters made out of glass, metal or plastic. Airtight containers keep air and moisture out of your coffee, and this is important in coffee storage.
Step 4
Decide where you are going to place your coffee. Whether you decided to use an airtight container or the original packaging, it's important to keep your coffee in a dark and cool location. Heat and light will destroy the flavor of your coffee, so always store it in a cabinet or in your pantry, away from sunlight and heat.
Step 5
Use your freezer for long term storage to keep your coffee from getting stale. However, freezer storage is not recommended unless you need to store coffee for a longer period of time. Put your coffee in airtight bags if you decide to keep it in the freezer.

Tips & Warnings
~o) Purchase a coffee grinder online, at coffee shops, kitchen supply stores or discount stores if have whole bean coffee at home.
~o) Consider purchasing small quantities of coffee if possible. Purchasing just enough coffee for you to use in one to two weeks is advisable. This way, you'll always have fresh coffee when you want it.
~o) Whole bean coffee that is stored in the freezer will last for about two months, while ground coffee that is stored in the freezer will last for about 3 to 4 weeks.
~o) Do not store your coffee near the stove or out on a kitchen counter.
~o) Never put coffee back into the freezer once it has been taken out of the freezer. This will weaken the flavor of your coffee.
~o) Freeze coffee at your own risk. Coffee that's frozen might not taste as good because the flavor may be affected by the moisture associated with freezing coffee.
Some things in life are better rich. . . coffee, chocolate, men.
Nicky
old member
old member

Postby SanchoPancho » 04 Aug 2010, 00:25

Hmm... Thank you, Nicky! your instruction is ineresting and usefull @};-
Coffee Should be Black as Hell, Strong as Death, and Sweet as Love
SanchoPancho
old member
old member

Postby chocaloca » 04 Aug 2010, 02:39

There are quite a few differing views I see. I used to grind my own beans until the noise got to me, so now I buy ground coffee in small amounts and keep it in an airtight wooden container. This seems to work.
chocaloca

Postby Bella » 05 Nov 2010, 17:37

We keep ours in the freezer for a couple of reasons....we don't have a lot of cupboard space and we don't drink coffee enough times that one can has the potential to last for several months. Keeping it in the freezer, it will last as long as necessary for us.
Bella

Postby NoLimits » 06 Nov 2010, 01:07

Years ago I also read that it was best to store coffee grounds in the freezer. These days I do that sometimes, it doesn't seem to change the texture or the taste. I'm about to open a giant tin and that won't fit in any cold place so I'll transfer some to an airtight container and keep the tin in the pantry.
NoLimits

Postby Nawleen » 09 Nov 2010, 02:48

I can buy a whole can or large container of my husbands favorite coffee and if I am lucky it last a week. Sometimes it might make a week and a half but that is just if he has to go out of town. I love my coffee too so between the two of us we really put a whipping on it.
Nawleen

Return to Coffee Roasting, Grinding, Brewing; Equipment; Industry