Coffee from India

What country is your coffee from?

Coffee from India

Postby Nina Maxwell » 31 Aug 2010, 00:44

I'm on a mission to try coffee from every place in the world that produces it. The big hitters have been fairly easy but as yet I've not found anywhere local that sells Indian grown coffee. I hear they have spicy flavors, which makes them really interesting to me. Has anyone got a good source?
Nina Maxwell

Re: Coffee from India

Postby jesse » 01 Sep 2010, 05:52

What do you mean "a good source" - good store or site with good Indian coffee? I don't have anything special but I think you should try browsing Google, it will give right answers for sure :-)
jesse

Postby CrazyBaby » 02 Sep 2010, 03:36

If I have understood you correctly here that I have found. You know, I was interested too

Monsooned Malabar AA
Monsooned coffee or coffee beans ’swollen’ with moisture from the air, is prepared at the curing works situated on the West Coast of Southern India. Stored in special warehouses, moist monsoon winds circulate around the coffee beans, making them swell in size and take on a mellowed but aggressive, musty flavour. This process yellows the bean and reduces the acidity, imparting a heavy, syrupy flatness reminiscent of aged coffees.

Mysore Nuggets Extra Bold
These wonderful and exotic coffees are prepared from washed Arabicas grown in the regions of Chikmagalur, Coorg, Biligiris, Bababudangiris and Shevaroys. The beans are very large, uniform bluish-green in colour, with a clean polished appearance. In the cup, the coffee exhibits full aroma, medium to good body, good acidity and fine flavour, with a hint of spice. This is a rare, premium coffee and truly represents the best quality coffee from India.

Robusta Kaapi Royale
This coffee is prepared from Robusta Parchment AB from the regions of Coorg, Wayanad, Chikmagalur and Travancore. The beans are bold, round with pointed ends, and grey to bluish-grey in colour. The cup ensures full body, soft, smooth and mellow flavour.
I don't have a problem with caffeine. I have a problem without caffeine!
CrazyBaby
old member
old member

Postby Nina Maxwell » 06 Sep 2010, 21:56

Sound great don't they Crazybaby. Problem is I haven't been able to find a recommended store that stocks them. I am hoping to travel to India next year and I will be buying some there for sure. (I have looked on Google but it is harder than you may imagine to find actual Indian coffee beans.)
Nina Maxwell

Postby killer666 » 07 Sep 2010, 02:38

You are right, Nina! so... I wish good luck to you \m/
and If you will find it, don't forget to invite me to ~o) ~o) ~o) ~o) ~o)
:d
Instant human. Just add coffee.
killer666
old member
old member

Postby PepetheCoffeeManiac » 27 Mar 2012, 03:32

They say that "a unique feature of Indian coffee is that it is grown exclusively in the shadow of trees", which is why it is considered to be the finest coffee... Hmmm /:) , I should try it!
PepetheCoffeeManiac

Postby Tentan » 20 Aug 2012, 05:07

I heard that South Indian coffee is somewhat akin to a latte or café au lait in that its principally a combination of milk and some form of coffee.
Tentan

Postby Roberta » 21 Dec 2012, 05:38

I don't think that Indian coffee is spicy just because they are known for spicy dishes. Do they grow something else than Arabica or Robusta?
HI, my name's Roberta but friends call me Berta! :)
Roberta

Postby percival » 08 Feb 2013, 04:27

I've heard that Indian coffees are good balanced and mild. "You will find the pronounced body, low acidity and subtle spicy notes pleasing, they work well under a wide range of roasts."
Never tried any but thought this comment would be useful to those who'd like to give it a try for the first time. Enjoy! ;)
percival

Postby helena » 26 Feb 2013, 01:30

I tried Monsooned Malabar AA coffee once, and I really liked it - it has the monsooned flavour, mellow taste and golden look. But it is a little too pricy for me, so it will be a rare guest in my house, I guess. :-(
I make serious coffee - so strong it wakes up the neighbors
helena
old member
old member

Return to Coffee Origins