Tobacco Ice Cream

Talk about everything you like HERE!

Tobacco Ice Cream

Postby Mulderr » 03 Sep 2010, 11:50

I found a recipe for tobacco ice cream in a recent cigar magazine and decided to give it a try with some of my own adjustments. Anyone ever hear/try anything like this or have suggestions for specific cigars to use? It goes very well with my favorite coffee.
Mulderr

Re: Tobacco Ice Cream

Postby driven » 05 Sep 2010, 15:10

I think that the tobacco that they use in tobacco ice cream is usually pipe tobacco. I do not know if you can use cigar tobacco or not. I wonder why most recipes call for pipe tobacco.
driven

Postby Nicky » 06 Sep 2010, 01:57

Mulderr wrote:I found a recipe for tobacco ice cream ...

and where ir your recipe???
come one... I wanna see it ;)
Some things in life are better rich. . . coffee, chocolate, men.
Nicky
old member
old member

Postby grounded » 27 Oct 2010, 03:55

Looks like mulderr is MIA, and since I like your avatar Nicky, I'll share with you something I found a while ago:

Tobacco Ice cream
(recipe loosely based out of Sherry Yard’s ice cream recipe in “The Secrets of Baking”)
Makes 3 cups, or enough for 6-8 servings

Ingredients
357g heavy cream (1.5 cups)
120g milk (0.5 cups)
100g sugar (0.5 cups)
4 yolks
2.5g loose full-leaf tobacco (get a mild tobacco, and one that has no other chemicals applied to it. You could also break a cigar)
0.75 teaspoon vanilla paste (substitute equal amount of vanilla essence, or the seeds of half a vanilla bean).

Bring to a simmer the cream, milk, vanilla and tobacco over a medium flame. Turn off the heat, cover with a plastic film to prevent a top-layer from forming and steep for 10-15 minutes (depending on the strength of the tobacco you use, I would recommend that you start tasting it at the 8 minute mark to make sure it doesn’t get too strong). Strain with a fine-mesh strainer.

Whisk the yolks with the sugar and salt, making sure you do it quickly so the sugar doesn’t coagulate the yolks (i.e., don’t let the yolks sit on the sugar). Ladle half a cup of the cream mixture while whisking to the yolks to heat them up. Combine the whole thing. Pour it on a saucepan (non-stick works best, methinks), and heat it up over a small flame while constantly stirring, until the mixture reaches 170F (if you don’t have a thermometer, this is when it thickens up some, and if you run your finger down the spatula, it will leave a trail).

Pour the mixture through a strainer into a bowl set over an ice-bath. Stir it once in a while until the mixture cools down to 40F. Churn according to the instructions of your ice-cream machine.

You might have to play around with the tobacco you buy to get the exact proportions. I think 2 grams is a safe place to start, and you can move up or down from there. Enjoy!!
grounded

Postby paul77 » 27 Oct 2010, 04:47

Tobacco Ice cream??? Never heard of that recipe before and I doubt I will ever dare trying this dessert :-S I like your avatar too, Nicky ;) :d
Black as midnight on a moonless night
paul77
old member
old member

Postby Joe39 » 13 Dec 2010, 09:53

Yes, I have to agree, that sounds pretty disgusting. I haven't smoked in 2 years but I use Skoal, and the idea of eating it, is just enough to turn my stomach. Even if the tobacco is strained out, you're still swallowing tobacco juice :ymsick: . I spit mine out.

Blah!
Joe39

Postby Icemocha » 16 Dec 2010, 18:01

Ick...can't say I've ever heard of tobacco ice cream before! I'd be willing to experiment though. I don't smoke or use tobacco but I know when my dad used to chew it, I always thought it smelled like the best gum in the world. Yes, I'm weird :P If the ice cream smells like tobacco, hell, why not.
Icemocha

Return to Off- topic