Is coffee really genetically addictive

Their interaction

Is coffee really genetically addictive

Postby Caffeinated » 08 Apr 2011, 10:03

According to a news story out in the last hour; people with the CYP1A2 and AHR genes are much more likely to crave caffeine. Thankfully, they are also better equipped to metabolize it better. The study seems reputable enough as it came out of the Harvard School of Public Health and was done on 47,000 middle aged adults.
Caffeinated

Re: Is coffee really genetically addictive

Postby Brewster » 08 Apr 2011, 21:01

I have no reason to disbelieve the study, though neither of my parents were big coffee drinkers! I think a lot of our adult behavior is influenced by what we experience in the home, as well as being partly genetic.
Brewster

Postby jesse » 28 Sep 2012, 02:58

What a nonsense! How could coffee be genetically addictive? I think they've mixed up the terms, I would rather believe that a mother that is drinking coffee could teach her child drink it as well - simply because she doesn't drink tea and doesn't keep it at home. Does it make sense?
jesse

Postby helena » 04 Oct 2012, 04:19

I think it's a non-sense, don't believe it! Coffee cannot be genetically addictive, otherwise we would have much more drinkers among us.
I make serious coffee - so strong it wakes up the neighbors
helena
old member
old member

Postby paul77 » 11 Oct 2012, 01:41

How could coffee become genetically addictive - if a person drinks a lot of water or tea, you don't say that his/her parents were water or tea addictive, do you? ;)
Black as midnight on a moonless night
paul77
old member
old member

Postby Roberta » 28 Jan 2013, 06:39

Well, I don't see why people shouldn't be genetically addicted to coffee? It is much safer than being addicted to drugs, though I am sorry for this parallel, I understand it's sad. :-(
HI, my name's Roberta but friends call me Berta! :)
Roberta

Postby percival » 27 Feb 2013, 04:32

I don't believe this, I think coffee couldn't be genetically addictive - at least, I will think so unless they prove the contrary.
percival

Return to Coffee And Culture