Roast tips

From A to Z; Talk us about your coffee equipment experience

Roast tips

Postby jesse » 30 Jul 2010, 03:09

Before roasting green beans at home, read some useful tips to make it perfect:
1.Look - the appearance of the bean will change through the roasting process. Its color, size and texture should be watched carefully.
2.Listen - two distinct popping sessions are heard during coffee roasting. These are known as the first and second 'crack'.
3.Smell - the beans will smell differently at each stage of the roasting process. The aroma should be used in conjunction with appearance of the bean to evaluate the stage of the roast.

Source: Coffee-Makers-Cafe
jesse

Re: Roast tips

Postby Milk no sugar » 02 Aug 2010, 05:04

Funny enough I was just reading a blog where the writer said you can start home roasting with the minimum of equipment. I am interested in giving this a try but need to read more. The changing smells idea is intriguing - perhaps best not to attempt this when you have a cold!
Milk no sugar

Postby CoffeeLover » 06 Aug 2010, 00:23

I consider that it is not ewarding work! As if you grow up at house lemon tree. It is a lot of efforts, and the result is not considerable.
I like to move it, MOVE IT
CoffeeLover
old member
old member

Postby ginga » 10 Aug 2010, 03:06

Thanks for sharing these tips, jesse! Very useful. I never heard of first and second 'crack'! Must check it myself :)
Caffeine isn't a drug, it's a vitamin!
ginga
old member
old member

Postby paul77 » 10 Aug 2010, 05:37

Milk no sugar wrote:Funny enough I was just reading a blog where the writer said you can start home roasting with the minimum of equipment. I am interested in giving this a try but need to read more. The changing smells idea is intriguing - perhaps best not to attempt this when you have a cold!

Yeah, lol! You should avoid any different flavors when you trying to roast your coffee at home though I don't quite understand how is it possible - when you have full house of living organisms who smell themselves :d
Black as midnight on a moonless night
paul77
old member
old member

Return to Coffee Roasting, Grinding, Brewing; Equipment; Industry