How to choose the best coffee grinder

From A to Z; Talk us about your coffee equipment experience

How to choose the best coffee grinder

Postby stephan5 » 23 Jun 2015, 06:51

Coffee grinding is an improtant part of preparing coffee. People many times underestimate importance of having a good grinder to support a coffee machine. If you do not choose the right coffee grinder, your grind will have low quality and consequently also coffee taste will not be good. Instead you want to choose a good coffee grinder. To do that you need to choose from variable of factors. Most importantly it should grind well and last long. But this is simply not everything.
You need to take a variable of factors and different grinders on market into account. In last few years coffee grinder market has a lot of products available. To choose the coffee grinder that best suits your needs, you either have to take a lot of time or read some good reviews. On this site you can check the best coffee grinder reviews and guides. It helped me to find an optimal coffee grinder. When you are choosing the best coffee grinder, make sure that you are on budget. It should cost roughly the same as coffee machine if you want a high quality grinder.
stephan5

Re: How to choose the best coffee grinder

Postby adam22 » 15 Feb 2016, 11:10

I've been shopping for a new grinder for home myself. Right now I'm using a $20 coffee/spice grinder that I picked up at Home Goods, so I definitely need something better. Since I'm the only coffee drinker in the apartment, noise level is important to me cause the $20 cheapie model is crazy loud. And this page http://www.quiethomelab.com/best-quiet-coffee-grinders/ says that some of the more expensive models are quieter. Anyone know if that is true with those models? I don't mind dropping the cash on it, but I would hate to find out that one of those is just as loud as my current grinder.
adam22

Postby WfCBob » 13 Jul 2016, 09:27

adam22, you may already have your answer, but just in case. They're all going to be loud to some extent. The Baratza they mention is somewhat quieter, but if the place you're prepping your coffee is close to the sleeping areas, it's probably not going to cut it for you.

The manual is your best bet here.
http://wiredforcoffee.com
WfCBob

Postby WfCBob » 09 Sep 2016, 14:09

Forgot to mention, in the above review he mentions the Baratza Virtuoso. I'd recommend taking a look at the Preciso too.
Here's a comparison of the two:

Baratza Virtuoso Preciso Review
http://wiredforcoffee.com
WfCBob

Postby Love2love » 27 Apr 2017, 00:03

Last edited by Love2love on 19 Feb 2019, 19:23, edited 1 time in total.
Love2love

Postby Matti » 05 May 2017, 13:19

Once someone said to me that the grinder is almost more important than the brewing equipment and I agree in part. Basically, you want your grinder to "cut" your roasted bean in equal particles. As this is not 100% possible due to the uneven structure of the bean, you have to choose a grinder which approach an even grind. That's why you should always go with burr grinder. I will not discuss if flat or concial burrs are better as this depends on the brand and other factors.

Then, you should decide if you use the grinder at home only or also for a coffee shop. Another important question is whether you use the grinder only for espresso coffee or other brewing or for both.

And of course your budget.

Here are some other factors to think about:

- Quality of burrs
- Are the burrs easy to clean
- Noise
- How warm get the burrs when you grind the beans?

I hope I could help you.
Matti

Postby untitelhar » 24 Feb 2019, 19:13

[quote="Love2love"]Add details More than this

I think the answer is very relevant.

maxbet
untitelhar

Return to Coffee Roasting, Grinding, Brewing; Equipment; Industry